04 April 2011

Saltine Cracker Toffee

This recipe was posted by The Girl Who Ate Everything just a few days ago. I thought it was totally worth trying. I love toffee and don't know how to make it. I always tell myself I should learn because stocking up on Almond Roca at Christmas is a little pricey. I was also intrigued by how easy this recipe looked and the fact it used saltine crackers.

The first time I tried to make these it was a complete disaster, and no fault to The Girl Who Ate Everything. It was all my fault. First of all, my saltine crackers kind of tasted funny. You just shouldn't buy the generic brand of some things. Or maybe they just soaked up the flavor of something else in my cupboard. Either way they were nasty. Second of all, the pan I used was too big and used way more than 40 saltines crackers. Third, even though I had more crackers I didn't increase the amount of syrup, because I do not have a well stocked kitchen and didn't quite have 1 cup of brown sugar and barely had any white sugar, pretty much just enough top off that 1 cup.  Forth, I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. Okay, that part is not a disaster, but some people prefer milk chocolate. I just want to mention that. I really do have total faith in the blogs I read. They always put out good recipes, so I knew I needed to try again.  I stocked up on my sugars, chocolate chips, saltines and tried again. This time I used milk chocolate and piped a little bit of semi-sweet on top after the milk chocolate cooled down a little. (I decided I prefer the semi-sweet chocolate, but I'm a dark chocolate lover.) They turned out absolutely fabulous and even got my hubby's stamp of approval. They have now become a holiday must.

Saltine Cracker Toffee
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 40 saltine crackers or enough to line your pan
  • 2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with saltine crackers in a single layer.
In a small pot combine sugar and butter and bring to a boil. Once mixture is at a boil, continue boiling for 3 minutes. Mixture should be a deep caramel color. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely.Bake at 400 degrees 5 to 6 minutes. It will get all bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and let sit a couple of minutes to melt. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts if desired. Cool completely and break into pieces.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

I'm sorry, but I've turned word verification on again. I hate trying to decipher the words just as much as anyone, but I'm getting way too much spam. I tried doing comment moderation as people suggested but the number or spam comments I had to sift through was ridiculous. I appreciate your comments and didn't want them to get lost among the spam. Hopefully, I can reduce the amount of spam and turn the word verification off soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...